Sunday, August 14, 2011

How should I deal with a manager who is unqualified for his position? Should I go over his head?

Long story short, last year my company decided to launch a new division. The VP tapped my manager to lead the new initiative. Realizing that he lacked the knowledge or understanding to make this initiative a success, he recognized that he would need to hire someone with the appropriate knowledge and experience to make the initiative viable; hence he hired me. The challenge I face is that while my manager understands the objective that we are trying to achieve he has absolutely no clue as to the processes that are necessary to reach our goals. Up until now, this has not largely been a problem. He has "stayed out of my way" and allowed me to do my job as necessary. However, he is now trying to become more directly involved and that is impeding our progress. I suspect that this is because upper management is aware that I - not he - am the one doing the "heavy lifting" and the one who will ultimately foster the growth and success of our division. Should I bring my concerns to upper management?

No comments:

Post a Comment